Thursday 15 March 2007

Saltfish and Ackee (pronounced Ah-Kee)


I've seen loads of different spellings when it comes to the national fruit of Jamaica. Still, it's the eating that really counts and if I'm honest I was put off at first. A rubbery, scrambled egg-like substance greeted me as it was taken from a boiling pot of water. However, the dish was transformed when it was popped into a shallow pan with oil, spices and some salty white fish (recipe here). It becomes a bit of a mush (although some keep the fish separate) but it's easy to eat quickly with a fork. Tasty and filling, you can have it as a snack or main meal when served with fresh veg and hot peppers. Fantastic. I'd hope to serve this authentic dish to guests at least once during their stay. The picture shows one of many Ackee trees just down the road from our plot. The Ackee ripens, turns bright red and then splits to reveals its yellowy fruit and black seed...

No comments: